CamberwellOnline Blog

Camberwell and my life in it

Get regular updates

Latest comments

• Dagmar: The narrative of this narrative is that it is a narrative narrative. It is not, for instance, a powerpoint...
  • DeanO: TFL consultation on extension of the Bakerloo line has opened: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/bakerloo -extension
  • sloth: “As has been the case for other major infrastructure projects (such as Crossrail and the Northern Line...
  • Kat: I really enjoy the comments on Camberwell Online, and particularly Peter’s posts which are knowledgeable...
  • Millay: I agree with @monkeycat; its a great blog and lovely in its informality, but like others I had never realised...

flickr

• Burgess Park, Camberwell
  • Sun of Camberwell, Camberwell, SE5
  • Stormbird, Camberwell, SE5
  • Joiners, Camberwell, SE5

RSS feeds:

Welcome to the Camberwell Online blog, a place for free and spirited exchange on anything with even a tangential connection to the South-East London district.

Camberwell Tube Station in 2026?

Written by | Filed under Transport

Camberwell to get a tube station in 20 years?

In an email seen by the South London Press, [Mayor Ken] Livingstone said TfL and London Underground (LU) were now “taking a 20-year look ahead”.

He said: “LU is starting to examine the potential for extending lines to serve inner South London, including areas like Camberwell.

“This could include extending the Bakerloo line from Elephant & Castle, extending the Northern line from Kennington or the Victoria line from Brixton.”

With the extension of the East London Line to Clapham Junction via Denmark Hill, that could mean a radically different Camberwell 30 years from now. Of course, they key phrase in that email is examine the potential.

February 11th, 2006

14 Responses to “Camberwell Tube Station in 2026?”

1. lotty says:

Real shame it isnt likely to happen in the foreseeable future — would radically alter my journey to work.

2. Richard says:

A tube station for Camberwell might not be as unfeasible as you think– pre war there was a plan to extend the Bakerloo line to Camberwell Green which got quite far in planning I believe. It was the central that got constructed after the war though. I agree it will change camberwell out of all recognition

3. Rachel says:

The plan was revived in the 1950s too. In fact I have a tube map from then which has a little dotted line from E&C to Camberwell for the proposed extension. I wonder if they ever started digging…

4. Ben says:

There’s some interesting background on the Bakerloo extension at http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/104

Incidentally, a quick browse on the above site took me to the reason why you can’t use pre-pay Oyster on train services at present: http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/66 (scroll down to “Fares and Oyster”)

It’s a real — and expensive — pain not to be able to use Oyster from Denmark Hill for prepaid journeys when you need to interconnect with the Tube.

5. lisa says:

Does anyone know what happened at Denmark Hill this morning? I arrived at about 8.15 to see two women in seperate locations holding their heads and crying, being comforted by passers by. Looked to me like someone had hit them both round the head and run off.

6. Peter says:

Well, it was all over by the time I got there (8.45).

7. lotty says:

didnt see anything when boarding the delayed 0802 at 0807.

8. Peter says:

So the incident took place after 8.07 and was over by 8.15. Anyone take a train between those times?

9. Ellie says:

Some news about Denmark Hill train station. The labour party is distributing a leaflet which reveals that Network Rail are plannning to end South London Line direct services from London Bridge to London Victoria, passing through Denmark Hill!

All the details are at:

I haven’t had chance to read through this document yet, but will do today.

You can register your opposition to the plan by emailing Network Rail at: rusresponses@​networkrail.​co.​uk

Or write to them at:
    National RUS Consultation Manager
    Network Rail
    8th Floor, 40 Melton Street
    London, NW1 2EE

10. Lord Henry says:

Alan Dale gets blocked and yet this crap gets through?!!!

Damn you Oyster Card! Damn you all the way to hell!!!!!

11. Lord Henry says:

I should make clear that I was responding to a poster called Oyster Card, not to Ellie. Oyster Card’s post has obviously been removed. Well done, Peter!

12. Declan says:

I understand from rumour that Camberwell already has a tube station. Not so sure about the tube connections to wherever. In fact I’m not sure about the station either. Can anyone confirm it. I would imagine its under the green if anywhere?

Declan

13. The Eyechild says:

I heard there were sidings under Camberwell where trains parked up.. under Nandos I think it was.

Could be false, mind, so don’t take it as gospel.

14. Alan Dale says:

What did Oyster card say to get filtered out?

My own exclusion was purely because of my affiliation with Betfair and was not the censorship that I perceived it to be at the time.

Look at a map the Sainsbury’s on Dog Kennel Hill is in SE5 but they use an SE22 postal address.

When we do get a tube here they’ll probably call it East Dulwich.