Written by monkeycat | Filed under Art, Eating & Drinking, Events, Guest Author, Shopping
Clearly Camberwell has become a hotbed of artistic tendencies. Or people are getting better at organising. Or it’s Christmas. Or all three.
Why do I say this? Because there seem to be a lot of open studio events, Christmas Markets and also a big auction of artworks by the great and good, as well as the unknown, up at King’s in the next few weeks.
1. Coldharbour Studios and Clockwork Studios both have their open studio events this weekend. The private view is on Friday 6th from 6-9pm, with the studios open throughout the weekend and lots of pressies for you to buy, as well as the odd mince pie and glass of wine I’m sure.
2. Camberwell Arts are hosting “Made in Camberwell” on Saturday 7th from 1-5pm at the Tiger with local artists and designers selling their wares. See their Facebook Page for more details of who is exhibiting.
3. On Thursday 12th December, King’s College Hospital is celebrating its Camberwell centenary with an auction of 100 artworks by 100 artists who have connections with Camberwell or the hospital. Some of the better known artists who have donated works include Maggie Hambling, Gillian Ayres and Sir Peter Blake, as well as lesser known local artists and designers such as…, ahem, me! (Monkeycat). More details of all the artists can be found here: Together We Can.
There is a private view of Kings’s 100 Artworks Auction at 6pm with the obligatory mince pies and mulled wine before the auction, which starts at 7pm. You need to buy tickets (only £5). You can either get them from the Friend’s Gift Shop on the ground floor of the Cheyne Wing in Kings College Hospital, or buy them online from Rosebery’s, the auctioneers who are conducting the event. You can get them here: BUY TICKETS.
4. Mini Moderns, the amazingly talented design chappies, are holding their own open studio event from Friday 13th — Sunday 15th December, with the private view on the Friday evening. Well worth a look, especially if you’re thinking wallpaper and home wares are just what you need to get someone for Christmas.
5. The Farmer’s Market on Camberwell Green are also holding a Christmas Market on Saturday 14th December from 10am-4pm. Alongside the usual food stalls, there will also be live music and carols, artists and general Christmas good cheer.
I can’t think of any more events at the moment but if you know of any, just get in touch or leave a comment and I will update.
Update: On Saturday 14th there’s also a Christmas Bazaar at The Tiger. — Peter